Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Tuscan Bean Soup (Ribollita)



Autumn is coming! And then, Winter is coming! Today it is going to be around 70 degrees on my beautiful island of Manhattan, but autumn is coming. Once we start getting chilly nights, my thoughts go to.... soup.

Tuscan Bean Soup (Ribolitta) isn’t a soup I knew about as a child.  
I was a Jewish kid from New Jersey, and the only beans I knew about were the Heinz Vegetarian Beans we had with Hebrew National Hot Dogs.  What did I know from Tuscan Beans?  

When I starting having Tuscan Bean soup it was from one of the many Soup and Salad places in the City, and it was good.  But, I still had no idea what a Tuscan Bean was.  For years I tried to find Tuscan beans.  Nobody knew what they were.  Then it hit me!  It’s not Tuscan Bean from Tuscany just like Lima Bean aren't from Peru, and Manhattan Clam Chowder isn’t from Manhattan Clams! They are all just types of soups!! ‘Oy’.  I had a good laugh at myself when this silly realization hit me, and laughing at yourself is always a way to brighten the day.  Plus, every time I have Tuscan Bean Soup now, I’ll have to smile.


Note - Tuscan Bean Soup (Ribollita) can be made soupy by increasing the liquid.  It is also delicious as a vegetable stew by adding less liquid.  However, you can have both by adding the required liquid in this recipe and have soup the first day, and by the 2nd day the soup will thicken and be like a stew!  If you want it to be soupy on the second day add a little more broth.






No comments:

Post a Comment