Monday, January 2, 2012

Big Al Frank's FAMOUS Potato Latkes


Super Crispy Outside, Soft Inside

Frying Latkes in Dad's Skillet
Al Frank's Potato Latkes
 Wow! I got a request!  How exciting! 

On both Thanksgiving and Christmas I have a special dinner for my expatriate friends who don't celebrate those holidays with their families because they are far from home. This year Xixi  joined us and became a new friend.  She wrote today and said she tried to make the latkes after she had them at my house for the Expat Christmas and Chanukah dinner. 
I'll post the recipe, and will re-post before Chanukah. 
                                                                                   
Nobody makes Potato Latkes (pancakes) like my father did.  Even when we copy his recipe it is never exact, but it is pretty close.  He passed this recipe on to me and to my son, and then to my nephews who became our next generation of Potato Latkes champions. 

This recipe is for 10 people.  The yams are a variation from Al’s recipe, I added them.  He included them occasionally, but the rest of the recipe is his all the way.

I added ta couple of hints to this recipe - things I've learned trying to get these better each time:

1. You can use the 'double fry' secret, which is to fry the latkes 3/4 of the way earlier in the day, and right before serving, complete the fry.  They'll be super crispy on the outside, and soft on the inside, just as they should be.  If you put them in the oven to reheat, even at a low temperature, you lose lots of the crispiness. You won't be sorry.

2. When shredding the potatoes, put them in a big colander over a bowl and put cheese cloth in the colander.  Potatoes are wet and you've got to get the moisture out.  Putting the shredded potatoes in a colander will allow them to drain, then you can squeeze them using the cheese cloth to rid of more moisture.  Potatoes must be dry to form the latkes.


Go to the recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment